May San Pwint
Profile and Expertise
Dr. May San Pwint is the founder of Legal Steps Legal Consulting Limited, a full service Myanmar law firm with a major focus on corporate and commercial transactions since 2009. May’s legal practice focuses in the areas of mergers & acquisitions, corporate and commercial transactions in Myanmar for foreign and domestic companies, regulatory and compliance. She also provides legal advices on hotel and tourism, mining, manufacturing, employment, intellectual property, as well as all forms of real estate including rent and tax issues.
Corporate & Commercial Transaction,
Mergers and Acquisitions,
• Current Legal Counsel to the pioneer of fiber optic cable manufacturer in Myanmar.
• Current Legal Counsel to the Joint-Venture Company which operates Cement Plant with the capacity to produce 5000 Ton per day of cement clinker in Myanmar.
• Current Legal Counsel to one of the Myanmar’s leading app-based cab Service Provider.
• Current Legal Advisor to the Private Security Services Association in Myanmar.
• Current Legal Counsel to a prominent four stars hotel in Yangon.
• Assisting as a Counsel for Private Security Services Association in drafting Private Security Enterprise Law with the Myanmar Union Parliament’s Commission for Assessment of Legal Affairs and Special Issues.
• Providing legal opinion on several financing arrangements for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) with private equity firms investing in Myanmar.
• Providing legal opinion on several joint venture and foreign investment projects including real estate development and construction.
• Providing legal opinion on labour and employment law matters and appointment of programmers.
• Conducting due diligence since 2010 on various legal aspects of assets in which the client directly or indirectly holds an interest, and which are located in Myanmar.
• Providing advice to foreign and domestic investors on applications to Myanmar Investment Commission and Directorate of Investment and Company Administration.
• Providing legal opinion on requirements relating to obtaining permit and endorsement from Myanmar Investment Commission and Directorate of Investment and Company Administration.
• Providing legal opinion to local and international client for corporate structure and tax compliance matters.
• Assisted in advising a dual TSX/LSX listed international oil and gas company submit a tender in relation to an onshore oil and gas block in Myanmar; assistance included providing a comparative analysis of the terms and conditions of Myanmar’s petroleum sharing contracts, negotiations with local partners to establish a joint-venture company, data analysis, advices in relation to application submission documents and collaboration with local Myanmar counsel and Government officials throughout.
• Assisted in advising a Myanmar telecommunications company on peripheral licenses in the newly liberalized telecommunications sector in Myanmar.
• Assisted as a Myanmar Counsel for a Myanmar gold company on potential investment by London listed international gold mining company.
• Assisted as a Myanmar Counsel for a French owned oil and gas firm on its proposed downstream operations in Myanmar.
• Assisted in establishment of International Non-Governmental Organizations and local Non-Governmental Organizations, financial institutions.
PhD Law, University of Yangon, 2014
Master of Research (M.Res.) Law, University of Dagon, 2009
Master of Law (L.L.M.), University of Dagon, 2008
Post Graduate Diploma in Maritime Law,
University of Yangon, 2005
Bachelor of Law (L.L.B.),
University of Dagon, 2004
Admitted as a Higher Grade Pleader in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar since 2005