Profile and Expertise
Mr. Hassan is a Senior Associate at Legal Counsel and has gathered working experience in advising clients on corporate structuring, private mergers and acquisitions, both domestic and cross-border; joint ventures and inward investment, investment funds, and tax issues in Bangladesh and large scale private development. He has been involved in various Private Public Partnership (PPP) Projects in Bangladesh acting as the counsel for the concessionaires and EPC Contractors. In his career he has also worked on numerous cross-border transactions involving large infrastructure projects.
He has worked as the co-lead counsel on complete organizational restructuring projects in Bangladesh for two leading world renowned organizations. He has acted as the lead counsel for the concessionaire in the Mongla J3 & J4 project, a PPP project to design, develop, finance, operate & maintain two jetties at the Monga Port in Bangladesh. He has extensive knowledge in both international and domestic corporate structuring and joint venture structuring and has acted on behalf of numerous Japanese Clients in this regards.
• Advised the concessionaire in the Mongla J3 & J4 project, a PPP project for designing, developing, financing, construction, insurance, operation & maintenance of two jetties at the Monga Port in Bangladesh, the project is valued at USD 660 Million. This involved reviewing, drafting and conducting negotiations of all material Project Agreements for the project;
• Acted as transaction counsel for a large Japanese-Bangladeshi Joint Venture hospital in Bangladesh in advising them to facilitate a Japanese ODA fund injection into the company, the investment was about USD 6.6 Million;
• Acted as transaction counsel on restructuring the Bangladesh operations of one of the most renowned international organization in the education sector;
• Acted on behalf of one of the largest Danish FMCG manufacturer in their Joint Venture with one the largest FMCG manufacturer in Bangladesh, the transaction involved advising on the legal and regulatory requirements of the FMCG industry in Bangladesh, corporate structuring, corporate governance issues, IP licensing and so forth;
• Advising a US based hospitality group in acquiring a hotel in Dhaka, Bangladesh;
• Advising a local conglomerate from the bid stage to implement a PPP project for cargo handling in consortium with global partners;
• Advised a large French infrastructure in relation to tax and implementation issues in relation to a JICA funded project namely Gas-Wellhead installation at two gas fiends in Bangladesh;
• Helped establishing presence in Bangladesh of a world leading, independent engineering and consultancy enterprise in the energy and infrastructure sectors;
• Advised a renowned Danish fire safely equipment manufacturer for if Joint Venture with a global security firm in its Bangladesh operations;
• Advised the company that implemented Bangladesh’s first online music library;
• Advising an international NGO to implement a project for Directorate of Primary Education (DPE), Ministry of Primary and Mass Education in partnership with two of the largest local NGO’s in Bangladeshi, project value about USD 7.7 Million;
• Advising a Norwegian MFI in its total exit strategy from Bangladesh;
• Advising international Banks on security creation in Bangladesh in relation to Bangladeshi subsidiaries providing security on behalf of parent company abroad;
• Regular advising and structuring of FDI’s into Bangladesh.
• Post Graduate Diploma in law awarded by University of Law, Birmingham, UK.
• Masters in Law (International Commercial Law), Cardiff Law School, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK.
• Bachelors in Law, Cardiff Law School, Cardiff University, UK.
• Called to the Bar (Barrister-at-Law) from the Honorable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, London, UK.
English, Bengali, Hindi